Sunday, June 11, 2006

England 1 Paraguay 0

England was bad. No other way to put it. Yeah, Beckham had a good free kick, but the goal was lucky. I didn't see much offense there - Owen wasn't very good, and Crouch was mediocre (although better than I thought he would be). Joe Cole and Ashley Cole didn't work well together, and I didn't see much out of Beckham other than on free kicks. England looks to me very much like the US - Good defense and GK, a midfield that is the strength of the team, but not too much offense.

One thing I continue to wonder about - Can Lampard and Gerrard work together? I know there's been a lot of discussion of that questions, and today's game didn't do anything to answer it.

As it turns out, it looks like the group is no good - so maybe England is lucky. In a good group, they might have trouble. But they should still have no problem in this group.

One other thing - the game had no atmosphere! I couldn't believe the crowd was so quiet - who'd have expected that from the Brits? They sang a few songs (God Save the Queen once), but otherwise were flat. I think their team bored them to death. It sucks that the game was so boring - it was probably the one game normal Americans would watch.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

Yes, England was bad, but Paraguay is a team dedicated to making the opposition look bad. I also question whether Gerrard was fit (perhaps Carrick should play vs. T&T?)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Yeah, it could be that Gerrard wasn't fit. I don't recall, did Sven take him off? He didn't look anything like the player you usually see at Liverpool - I had chalked that up to not connecting well with the other midfielders, but maybe it was because he was hurt. Still, we also got the Beckham disappearing game and Joe Cole's nice individual play but not really connecting too well with others (he and Robben make a pair).

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home