Friday, June 30, 2006

Final Round of 16 Games

Let's see, TiVo recorded 6 hours of blank screen on Monday, so I missed the Italy and Ukraine games, although I did see the Ukraine shootout, which was absolutely pathetic. Has there even been a WORSE shootout by a team that the Swiss? It wasn't even like they got unlucky or the Ukranian keeper made great saves - the Swiss shots were just BAD. They should be embarrassed.

I also saw only half of the Brazil game. Brazil looked like they were sleepwalking a bit. Ghana played well and had a few chances, but their players looked tight - taking quick shots instead of playing better options. It really is such a shame that Essien didn't play, because I think he would have calmed the side down and they would have played much better. Still I was awfully impressed by them. Ronaldo has rounded into shape (no pun intended). The step over on the record goal was brilliant, and he made a very nice run to get it.

France 3 Spain 1

I saw the Spain France game, which was some nice play, although it lacked the intensity that the Portugal Holland match had. I was actually quite impressed by France. Their defense was incredibly organized. And who said Ribery shuold be playing more? Right - I did. He was against great - MoM, IMO, despite Zizou's play. He brings a pace that France otherwise doesn't have, and, not having seen him play before, I've been quite impressed with him this WC. Again, though, I've been most impressed by their defense (the goal Spain scored was weak - off a PK where the Spanish player was going AWAY from goal when he was taken down in the box; not saying it wasn't a PK, just that it wasn't off of a goal scoring opportunity).

Spain - what to say? Disappointment again. Why Aragones started Raul I have no idea. Clearly a wrong option, since Raul was nowhere, and there were several better options. Also, I don't know who this Pernia is, but he sucked. Xavi and Xabi Alonso were not as good as they should have been either. I really don't understand why Spain isn't better. They have the players. I can't believe it's this idea that Castillians don't get along with the Catalans or the Basques. (Note though, to the extent that this IS a problem, it will be getting worse with Zapatero's decision to give the regions a lot more autonomy -- Spain is become less and less a single country and increasingly a federation of independent entities.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lunista equivalent of football is upon us: the anti-football of Italy meets the ponderous Ukraine machine.

Also, I am immensely satisfied to see Spain so spanked and the bandwagon derailed. I relish the sight of bloodied and bruised egos.

Today I shall look forward to Argentina running aground.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home