Saturday, June 24, 2006

Predictions II

Review of my prior predictions:

Group A:
My prediction: Germany, Poland
Results: Germany, Ecuador

Poland didn't show up until they were already eliminated, did they? Second WC in a row. Disappointing. I was surprised that Ecuador could do something at sea level, given their record in qualifying.

Group B:
My prediction: England, Paraguay
Results: England, Sweden

After the Sweden-T&T match, I thought this might be precient, but ultimately Sweden had more class than Paraguay or CR. England obviously was the best of this group, but were unsatisfying.

Group C:
My prediction: Argentina, Holland
Results: Argentina, Holland

The ostensible Group of death was not. These two were simply better than Ivory Coast, although I would think that Ivory Coast would have advanced from virtually any other group. Serbia disappointed, after a strong qualifying. Not only did they give up 6 to Argentina (in which they really gave up) but they also let IC come back to beat them.

Group D:
My predicition: Portugal, Mexico
Results: Portugal, Mexico

Mexico didn't look that good, and Angola had a chance to knock them out, as ridiculous as that sounds. Mexico has no punch, especially without Borghetti. We'll have to see how his injury is. Concacaf as a whole was disappointing, and Mexico showed that they didn't deserve a seed. Portugal looked good, winning all three. Will Portugal's expected run in the last World Cup happen 4 years late?

Group E:
My Prediction: Italy, Czech Republic
Results: Italy, Ghana

What happened to the Czechs??? They looked SOOO good against us and then just fell apart! Was the Koller injury that damaging? Did they get tired because they are old? The Ghana game is still the surprise of the tounament so far, to me, even after Ghana went through. I don't think Ghana were that much better than us, but they absolutely dominated a Czech team that seemed so dominant against us. Maybe they just played out of their mind against us. Ghana is a very good side and deserve to go through; they are this year's version of the one African sde that seems to come up big every WC. Italy looked fine, I thought. Perhaps not a contender for the championship, as people thought beforehand, but a very good side. I guess I saw more out of them than others did.

Group F:
My Predictions: Brazil, Australia
Results: Brazil, Australia

I really thought that Australia would go through. They have a lot of talent on their side - just look at the players who are big in the Premiership like Kewell. The US doesn't have anyone who plays for such a club as Liverpool. And of course Hiddink is a great coach (as we saw last WC with SK). Brazil started slowly but got better. Croatia disappointed. Japan, I never thought would be good after we destroyed them in a friendly in January. Japan I think is somewhat like the US in that they need more of their players go abroad. However, Zico has made them into an entertaining side.

Group G:
My Prediction: France, Switzerland
Results: Switzerland, France

I suppose Korea had a chance, but away from home they just aren't as good. So it was these two by default. France didn't look good at all except against Togo, which isn't really a test.

Group H:
My Prediction: Spain, Tunisia
Results: Spain, Ukraine

As I said, there's always one African side that goes through. I thought Tunisia would be that side. But they just weren't that good, and Ukraine were better than I thought. Spain seemed quite good - better than I thought they'd be. As much as I love Raul - I can break out my Real #7 jersey if you'd like - Aragones should keep him as a sub. Seems to me more and more that you need the youthful exuberance of guys like Villa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home