Friday, July 07, 2006

Best XI

My picks:

GK:
Buffon, ITA
(runners up: Ricardo, Lehmann)

Backs:
Cannavaro, ITA
Thuram, FRA
Lahm, GER
Miguel, POR
(runners up: Grosso, Zambrotta, Sagnol, Gallas, A. Cole, Ayala)

MF:
Zidane, FRA
Maxi Rodriguez, ARG
Essien, GHA
Pirlo, ITA
(runners up: Riquelme, Frings, Viera, Makalele, Ribery, Totti, C. Ronaldo)
(Note: probably should be Viera ahead of Essien, given the number of games played, but I wanted to honor Essien for the impressive feat of leading Ghana through the Group Of Death)

Forwards:
Klose, GER
Henry, FRA
(runners up: Podolski, Crespo, Torres)

Coach:
Lippi, ITA
(runners up: Klinsmann, Hiddink)
(Note: think about what Lippi did - the Italy coach is one of the 2 or 3 most scrutinized in the world by the media, and yet he won the Group of Death, he had a major injury to Nesta and guys like Gattuso, Zambrotta and Totti just returning from injury, went down to 10 men twice, had two players suspended (De Rossi and Materazzi), AND had to deal with a gigantic scandal at home. Wow.)

Golden Boot:
Cannavaro
(it's likely to be Zidane, if FRA wins, but I think I'd still pick Cannavaro)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? no john terry or rio ferdinand? after all, england didn't allow a single goal in open play, and it wasn't just ashley cole. (i mean as backups, of course, but still....)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Pooh said...

Rio was fantastic, but Cannavaro has been otherworldly, with Thuram (one of my favorites in '98), Marquez and Ayala all being quite strong as well. Lucas Neil also had a very good tourney for Australia.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Al said...

I know, I know, I should have put Rio in there. I thought Ashley was slightly better, given that he was sometimes effective going forward. I discount Terry because he had a couple of bloopers. Remember the accidental backwards header?

I was thinking about Marquez, but Mexico just let up too many goals compared to the other sides (I know, a bit difficult to blame it all on Marquez, but still...). And I can't take Neill simply because he gave away the penalty to Grosso - however undeserved that may have been.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and certainly there's no question that cannavaro has been the best. as for terry, my attitude is that unless, like cannavaro, you're in the zone, fullbacks aren't going to play perfect games, but in the end, he did everything you could ask of him. i agree that rio was better, and i'll also note that it's amazing to me how far ashley cole has come: he was the weak link in the 2002 english defense, but the last couple of years at arsenal he has really improved.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Pooh said...

nd i'll also note that it's amazing to me how far ashley cole has come: he was the weak link in the 2002 english defense,

Considering that Danny Mills was the England RB in 2002, that's quite a statement...

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home