Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mexico 3 Iran 1

This was a pretty even game until the horrible error by the Iranian keeper. How can you just boot it right to the Mexican attacker 20 yards away??? That blew the game for the Iranians. They looked shocked, and hadn't recovered when the other Mexican goal came. Really, I wasn't very impressed with Mexico. They took advantage of the Iranian error, but, other than that, they were inconsistent. The Mexican coach I think agreed, seeing as how he made 2 substitutions at the beginning of the second half.

It was a great atmosphere at the game today. The Mexican fans were great - and their straw hats? Hilarious!

I know I'm supposed to be rooting against Mexico (as all good US MNT fans are), but it's tough to root against them when their keeper's dad just died.

Also, interesting point regarding the Argentine- and Brazilian-born players on Mexico's team. If there is an uproar in Mexico about them being on the team, isn't that inconsistent with the Mexicans' support for open borders/amnesty here in the US? I mean, are they pro-immigration or not? (OK, OK, we know they are only pro-immigration from Mexico into the US, but not from other countries into Mexico).

2 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

Heh, I was going to make the same point about the irony of all 3 of Mexico's goals involving immigrants (the third was a beaut though) though I don't think Zinho is as controversial as he has been in Mexico for many years and has a Mexican wife (Green Card, yasay?)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Yeah, the third was nice - clinical.

As I said, though, it looked to me as thought the Iranians were really not recovered from the second goal yet.

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home