Friday, July 07, 2006

Announcers

At TNR, Alex Massie points to this Slate article entitled: "In Defense of the World Cup Announcers; They haven't been that bad. Seriously." Massie is incredulous.

You know what? I agree with Slate. Other than Balboa, I've thought that the announcers haven't been too bad. O'Brien has continued to improve (even if I get on him about it being CristianO Ronaldo). He still talks a little too much. But overall he's nice to listen to. If only he had a decent analyst, it could have worked out well.

JP Dellacamara is great and Harkes has been consistently enlightening. I just wish Harkes would speak in full sentences sometimes.

I like Shep Messing too - he's the announcer for the Metrostars Red Bulls, so I know him pretty well - and he knows his stuff. Of course, I have a soft spot for the former Cosmos keeper (check out the photo of him and Pele). His Jersey accent is sometimes annoying (even for someone who hails from Jersey), but that's my only complaint.

And I've liked Wynalda (who has the same role as Charles Barkley on TNT - provacative and more often than not right) and Julie Foudy (someone let her talk, please! She knows soccer) on the studio shows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home