Monday, June 12, 2006

Holland 1 Serbia 0

Robben - wow. Best player so far of this World Cup. The goal was nice - clinical finish - but he really created so many other good chances. And this against a team that gave up ONE goal in qualifying. The only thing I don't like about Robben is that he doesn't always play that well with others. A few times he probably should have passed it off to Ruud or van Persie, but held on to the ball for a shot. Perhaps just a little too selfish. (Update: I see that Franklin Foer agrees. But others disagree.)

Nonetheless, as I'm rooting for the Dutch as my secondary team after the US, I'll take Robben's performance any day of the week.

So far, in three days we've got goals by Robben (Chelsea), Drogba (Chelsea), and Crespo (Chelsea). Anybody see a pattern? I'll bet England is looking at Lampard and Joe Cole and saying: "well?" (Seriously, with Ballack and Sheva coming in, this is getting ridiculous. Hell, those two guys haven't even played in the WC yet.)

Like Ivory Coast, Serbia is a good team, and would likely get out of the first round inmost groups. Probably not here though. Argentina looked pretty good (not great - their defense is a little questionable), and I don't think Serbia can beat them. But Serbia had a few chances, and did well to make the game to be a bit chippy, thus slowing the Dutch down a little. The Dutch were really flying through much of the first half, but like a lot of these games, it settled down and became a lot more defensive until the very end. Also, strange tactics to take Kezman off. Hell he (was) a Chelsea player - therefore he had a good chance to score!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not very impressed and given the Dutch track record of just melting away under pressure I am no longer assured of their progression beyond the second round. Roben plays on the left, as does Cocu. Shut that flank down, and the Dutch will have a hard time of it.

I just don't see the Dutch of old with this new team. Maybe it was the jitters of the first game, but the vibe is missing.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Al said...

I agree with you that the attack was too left sided. That's exactly was van Persie complained about. And that was especially telling seeing as how Holland actually SCORED with a right-sided attack, with van Persie making that incredibly nice touch to send Robben on his breakaway.

But I think that Holland certainly CAN go down the right side if they would actually try, and if Robben was a little less of a ball hog. Van Bommel seemed to me to be a pretty good player for Barca, although he has done nothing on the national team side. It will be interesting to see whether he can get it done. Also, Snejder I'm not impressed with.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home