Saturday, July 08, 2006

Predictions for Final

For today's third place game, I note that Ballack, Lahm, and Mertesaker will not play. Um, so, OK, I'll take Portugal. 2-1.

For tomorrow, the big question is: will either side score? Both sides' defenses have been in absolutely fine form. And we're going to get another 4-5-1 matchup. I'm rooting for the Italians - yes, somewhat anti-France (whaddya want?), but also I've liked the way the Italians have played; Lippi playing so many forwards on Tuesday was great. Nevertheless, I don't think we'll see any kind of offense now; I'm thinking 0-0, and goes to PKs. I'd be utterly shocked if there are more than 2 goals scored. After all, these games have just gotten more and more defensive.

The tourney so far has been fairly predictable. Italians beat Germans. French beat Brazilians. English can't beat Swedes. English lose on PKs. Etc. So what's the Italy-France history? France wins. (See Euro 2000, WC '98, WC '86.) Totti takes the Roberto Baggio role tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

as i've noted several times, ever since brazil, i've been thinking that the zidane farewell tour would end in victory, and i stand behind that, but...

in really thinking about it, i think that italy, despite its awful performance against the US (which clouded my judgement against Italy for a while, i must say), has played the best, overall, in the tourney.

goals at a premium for sure, but i expect a very taut game with action at both ends, not something clogged up in midfield....

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home