Thursday, June 15, 2006

Still Here

Strange how much that USA debacle has ruined my interest in the World Cup. Anyway - post mortem on the USA: the Italy game is now: "win or go home". Tie won't do it - they need to win. I realize the chances of a US win are about 5%, but that's the deal.

Some random notes:

Beasley - should he get another start? The words between Arena and Beasley were pretty harsh... if Beasley were "any kind of a man" he'd understand that he played poorly? Wow. Beasley says that he was continually asked to go back and defend. But that ain't the issue. The problem was that we he HAD the ball, he didn't attack. He played the ball back so many times it was ridiculous. Didn't even attempt to beat his man, much less succeed (I realive that Italy's left back is pretty damned good, but still). I would start Dempsey, but that's just me.

That brings us to Donovan. He has regressed. He had a couple of nice runs, but just didn't get the ball enough - demand it, go get it. Maybe it's a problem not playing in Europe, although Beasley plays in Europe and doesn't seem to be helping him.

Arena thinks the defense played well. I don't - you just can't give up goals like that. Sorry.

So now the plan is to attack? Shouldn't that have been the plan all along? Now they go against Italy's back line - and Italy always has a good defense and has a great keeper in Buffon. They may attack, but can they score a goal? I'm doubting it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

At this level, Donovan is simply not a center forward - I suppose he could be, but then the US lack a real attacking playmaker. He should either play off a lone striker or (my preference) in the hole behind McBride (who I think much more highly of then do you - probably one of the top 10 strikers in England over the past 2 years) and Johnson.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Al said...

I agree about Donovan. He is not a great finisher anyway, and doesn't get the ball enough if he's positioned as a forward (regardless of whether he is "withdrawn"). His strength is creating.

We'll disagree about McBride. He's worse than Crouch in the EPL, and Crouch doesn't have any business playing either (notwithstanding his goal yesterday, which I haven't seen yet). That said, I agree that we need two forwards. Given EJ's play the other day, I'd have to start him this game, and neither Wolff nor Ching are better than McBride.

2:54 PM  
Blogger Pooh said...

Re: McBride, he was named the team MVP by Fulham fans this season. Just saying.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home